Salisbury Mansion is Worcester’s only historic house museum. Built in 1772 as a combination house and general store, it served as the home of “gentleman-merchant” Stephen Salisbury. The store closed after the Embargo of 1812, and by 1820 all of the subsequent space once used for the store had become living space. Salisbury Mansion has gone through many changes over the years, from a rooming-house to a gentleman’s club, and many locations (Salisbury Mansion was originally located where the Boys and Girls Club now stands in Lincoln Square). Through tireless research and documentation, Salisbury Mansion has been restored to its 1830s to reflect the time when it was home to the Widow Elizabeth Salisbury and her staff and is one of the best documented historic house museums in New England.